Kollam Junction: A Busiest Railhead in Kerala
Kollam Junction railway station, located in the picturesque state of Kerala, holds a special place in the hearts of travelers. This station is not just any ordinary stop but is a hub of bustling activity. Categorized under the designation of “NSG-3” stations, Kollam Junction proudly holds the title of being the second busiest railway station in Kerala when it comes to handling a high number of trains daily.
A Thriving Hub for Travelers
Kollam Junction witnesses an impressive average of 1.6 crore passengers annually, which translates to a staggering 47,000 footfalls every day. With such a significant number of travelers passing through its doors, it’s crucial to ensure the station can efficiently handle the ever-increasing passenger volumes.
The Revamp Project Begins
Recognizing the need to modernize and expand Kollam Junction to meet the growing demands of passengers, the Southern Railway has embarked on an ambitious redevelopment project. The goal is to transform the station into a modern transportation hub equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure that rivals international standards.
The redevelopment project has made substantial progress, with several key milestones already accomplished:
- All necessary clearances have been obtained.
- Detailed site surveys, including topographical and drone surveys, along with soil investigations, have been completed.
- Project Management Services (PMS) were awarded and began operations in November 2022.
- The demolition of existing offices has been finished, making way for the construction of a Multi-Level Car Parking (MLCP), Underground sump, Parcel Office, and South Terminal Segment-1.
- Essential facilities like site offices, laboratories, and storage facilities have been completed.
- A Gang rest room has been constructed and is now in use.
- Structural work for the SSE/Works Office is finished.
- The first-floor slab for the Service building is completed.
- The foundation work for the Multi-Level Car Parking, including 200 out of 217 piles, is also in progress.
While significant progress has been made, there is still work to be done:
- The substation work has reached the foundation level.
- Foundation work for the Foot Over Bridge (FOB) is ongoing on Platforms 1 and 4 & 5.
- The General Arrangement Drawing (GAD) for the Air Concourse is being finalized.
- Design work for the foundation of the South Terminal and Parcel Office is also in the finalization phase.
Roadmap to Kollam Junction Redevelopment
This ambitious project of redeveloping Kollam Junction Railway Station was awarded as an Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) contract to M/s RITES – SCWPL (JV) based in Bangalore, with a budget of INR 361.18 Crore on August 26, 2022. Project Management Services (PMS) for this project were entrusted to M/s LEA Associates South Asia Pvt Ltd, New Delhi, with a budget of INR 7.94 Crore. The completion period for this project is set at 39 months, and the PMS consultant plays a pivotal role in monitoring its progress.
A Glimpse of the Future
Upon completion, the redeveloped Kollam Junction station will span both the Southern and Northern sides of the existing station building. These terminals will separate operational and administrative activities from passenger movement and will provide world-class amenities. Travelers can look forward to a station with numerous lifts and escalators, multi-level car parking, convenient pick-up and drop-off facilities, and dedicated arrival and departure concourses. The future of Kollam Junction promises to be brighter and more efficient for all those who pass through its gates.
For more pics: Click here