Nearly Rs. 100 crores infusion for the redevelopment work!
If things go as planned, Mysuru exhibition grounds at Doddakere maidan will see a major redevelopment work under the center’s Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme. The steering committee of the Department of Tourism, Karnataka government has cleared this project, and the center has given its approval for funding it.
As per Mysuru/ Kodagu constituency MP Shri. Pratap Simha, the project will be taken up for redevelopment with an investment of around Rs. 100 Crores.
The Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme gets its prominence when we know the context in which it is being introduced and the purpose behind its introduction.
India, a continuing civilization with over millennia-old “culture and tradition” has a lot to offer to mankind. A birthplace of engineering, science, math, art & craft, music, dance, spirituality, and philosophy, India can take a center stage in shaping the world order. However, for that to happen, India’s hidden jewels – tradition, culture, art, and other things, should be made available to the world.
To do that, the central government has come out with the Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme, to be launched in 15 states targeting two OR three destinations in each state, to be showcased to the world.
This initiative will support the local artists economically and with that, the tourism sector will get a hard push up, thus boosting the local economy. Let’s briefly understand the Swadesh Darshan 2.0 scheme.
Swadesh Darshan 2.0
The Ministry of Tourism launched the Swadesh Darshan Scheme in 2015 and sanctioned 76 projects under the Scheme to date. The Ministry of Tourism carried out a detailed review of the Scheme and identified the areas for improvement. Based on the detailed review, the Ministry has revamped the scheme. With the mantra of ‘vocal for local’, the revamped scheme namely Swadesh Darshan 2.0 seeks to attain “Atma Nirbhar Bharat” by realizing India’s full potential as a tourism destination.
Swadesh Darshan 2.0 is not an incremental change but a generational shift to evolve Swadesh Darshan Scheme as a holistic mission to develop sustainable and responsible tourism destinations covering tourism and allied infrastructure, tourism services, human capital development, destination management, and promotion backed by policy and institutional reforms.
Objectives of Swadesh Darshan 2.0
The strategic objectives of the Scheme are:
- To enhance the contribution of tourism to the local economies
- To create jobs including self-employment for local communities
- To enhance the skills of local youth in tourism and hospitality
- To increase private sector investment in tourism and hospitality
- To preserve and enhance the local cultural and natural resources
100% Centrally Funded
The Scheme is 100% centrally funded. The funds shall be sanctioned and released to the Implementing Agency as per the guidelines of the Scheme and in conformity with the General Financial Rules and the directions issued by the Ministry of Finance from time to time.
T he Scheme will encourage the development of benchmarks and standards for generic and theme-specific development of tourism destinations and the States will follow the benchmarks and standards while planning and developing the projects.
Following major themes have been identified for tourism under the Scheme.
- Culture and Heritage
- Adventure Tourism
- Wellness Tourism
- MICE Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Beach Tourism
Cruises – Ocean & Inland All other themes will fall in one of the above major tourism themes. A destination may be developed for one or more major themes.
ILLUSTRATIVE LIST OF COMPONENTS
All components, which can enhance the tourism potential of the destination except those which are given in the list of non-admissible components will be allowed in the project. An illustrative list of components but not limited to, which can enhance tourism potential, is given below:
- Tourism Core Products
- Constructions of Tourist Facilitation Centre, Tourist Interpretation Centre with ATMs/ money exchange counters
- Restoration, conservation, illumination of monuments/ heritage structures
- Construction of craft haats, bazaars, souvenir shops, cafeteria etc.
- Construction of nature trails, watchtowers, rain shelters and allied infrastructure
- Accommodation and stay facilities such as log huts, tourist lodges, tented accommodation, eco-retreats, etc.
- Tourism Activities
- Construction of Convention Centers/Golf Course/Aquamarine Parks /Amusement Parks / Theme Parks
- Construction of facilities to promote Adventure/ Golf/ Cruise/ Rural/ Mice and other such tourism activities
- Provision of equipment for above tourism activities
- Performing Art Infra
- Construction of Open-Air theaters or amphi-theaters
- Constructions of Cultural Centres
- Setting up of Sound & Light Show
- Health, Sanitation and Safety
- Solid Waste Management
- First Aid Centre (including Indian Medicines System)
- Connectivity, Wayside Amenities & Parking
- Development/upgradation of passenger terminals for road, rail or water transport providing toilets, cloakroom facilities and waiting rooms
- Procurement of equipment for eco-friendly modes of tourist transport
- Improvement of road (last mile) connectivity leading to tourist sites/ destinations
- Development/ upgradation of helipads, heliports, airstrips, ropeways required for tourist in the identified circuits
- Parking facilities for two-wheelers, cars, buses, caravan vehicles
- Wayside amenities with emergency vehicle breakdown, repair and refuel facilities
- Informatory / directional signages
- Improvement in communication through telephone booths, mobile services and internet connectivity
- General Site Development
- General improvements such as earth filling, landscaping (including trees, shrubs), water fountains, fencing, lighting, pavements/ walkways/ pathways/ driveways, seating facilities/ shelters, drinking water points, garbage bins, stormwater drainage, treatment facilities for sewage / effluent
- External infrastructure such as water supply, sewerage, drainage, electricity, and roads
- Shoreline development & rejuvenation of natural water bodies such as rivers, lakes, streams, riverfronts.
- Slum upgradation
- Sustainable Tourism
- Use of clean energy sources for street lighting
- Renewable sources of energy for tourist infrastructure
- Environmental care and access to clean technology
- All structures developed should be universally accessible (disabled friendly)
- Soft Intervention
- Asset Mapping
- Promotion & Marketing
- Capacity Building
- Skill Development
- Knowledge Management
- Digital Technologies and Platforms