Unity Mall at Rs. 193 Crores to be setup in Mysore to promote One District One Product and Geographical Indication (GI) and other handicraft products.
The Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman, announced the development of at least 50 destinations as a complete tourism package in the Union budget for 2023-2024. In addition, the minister encouraged states to establish one Unity Mall in each state.
About Unity Mall
The concept of Unity Mall is to promote and sell State’s own One District, One Product (ODOPs), Geographical Indication (GI) and other handicraft products. One such Mall will be established in the capital city or most prominent tourism center or the financial capital of each state. The mall also will provide space for ODOPs & GI products of other States as well.
The Central Government has allocated an amount of Rs. 5,000 crore to promote the concept of “One District, One Product (ODOP)” through construction of Unity Mall in each State. The allocation falls under Part -6 of the Scheme for Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment 2023-24. With a minimum amount of funds admissible to states at Rs. 100 Crores.
The main objectives are
- Promote National Integration
- Promote the concept of Make in India
- Promote the concept of One District, One Product (ODOP)
- Help the rural artisans in selling their product
- Generate employment
- Increase marketability of quality indigenous goods
- The architecture of the Mall will reflect India’s unity and grandeur by incorporating design elements such as grand facades, atriums, and landscaping.
- Each Mall will have at least 36 commercial spaces, one for each State/Union Territory of the nation, for the sales and promotion of at least one or more ODOP (One District One Product).
- Commercial spaces designated for other states will have uniform floor space.
- It will include one stall for each district of the host state.
- Inclusion of Amenities such as a state-of-the-art food court, adequate parking, and purpose-built spaces for recreational and cultural activities.
- Functional spaces, such as conference rooms and event spaces for galleries and exhibitions, will be made available.
- Integration of Technology-based experiences, including Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Blockchain, Digital Displays, and Interactive Kiosks, will be integrated.
The Design shall be such that it would allow for the scaling up of commercial spaces in future.
Unity Mall to come up in Mysuru
Shri Pratap Simha, the Member of Parliament for Mysore, tweeted that Unity Mall will come up at a cost of Rs. 193 Crores. The Unity Mall will come up at the KEA Exhibition ground in Mysore city.
Financial Assistance to Indian States
Allocation to States under Part-VI (Unity Mall) of the ‘Scheme for Special Assistance to States for Capital Investment 2023-24
|SI. No.||States||Amount (Rs. in crore)|