Tecchren Incorporated, is a USA based, privately owned Company founded and run by professionals from Asian, North American & European origin. It is in the business of making and distributing “Advanced Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries” in collaboration with an European battery giant. To make batteries in India, they have formed an Indian subsidiary by name “Tecchren batteries pvt ltd”, registered in Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh.
The high-tech LiFePO4 batteries have inherent advantages when compared to lithium-ion ones, and are more practical to use. A brief on the LiFePo4 battery technology is on the following pages.
The proposed Tecchren Batteries Chamarajanagar plant will come up on a 40,000 square metres (430556 square feet) plot at Badanaguppe Kelamballi industrial estate. The likely investment will be around Rs. 480 Crores with an employment potential for 200 people. The Karnataka government has given the green signal for this project and as per the officials, work should start soon.
A brief about Tecchren Inc
Tecchren’s mandate is to popularise Lithium Ferro Phosphate cells and batteries among EV makers across the world. Their first stop is India and then the USA, and the proposed Chamarajanagar plant is a step in that direction. The batteries they make can power the following
- Automobiles charging decks
- Battery units to power mobile cell phone towers
- Renewable energy storage system
- Battery units to power Military application
- Battery operated offgrid systems
- Residential solar grids
Let’s have a glimpse of the battery technology to know more about it.
Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries
Scientists are working aggressively to build the kind of battery which is – affordable, easy to make, and recyclable. These batteries should have high energy density and yet be safe to use. That means they should not catch-fire if charged excessively. The material that goes into the making of these batteries should be found in abundance in nature, and their production should NOT lead to environmental disaster. Lastly, the time required to charge them (batteries) should be bare minimum.
This looks like the “Wishlist” of electric vehicle enthusiasts. But the truth is that it is quite a challenge to build batteries which meet all the specs listed above, so far. However, work on LiFePO42 batteries has yielded promising results, though more research is required to unleash its true potential.
LiFePO4 batteries built from “lithium iron phosphate” found to be the safest, most stable and more reliable than the lithium-ion battery. Let’s try to understand why “LiFePO4” is a better battery than “lithium ion” and other batteries.
- Can support a variety of applications: Though LiFePO4 suffers from lower energy density when compared to other lithium-ion batteries, it is by far the best battery for powering roof-top solar energy systems, RVs, golf carts, bass boats, electric motorcycles and similar applications. However, due to low-energy density, it may not be suited for powering heavy trucks, buses, earth movers, trains etc.
- Long life The life of a LiFePO4 battery is over 4 times that of other lithium ion batteries. It lasts about 5,000 cycles – that’s over 10 years. That means, LiFePO4 lasts longer.
- Safest among all batteries. The lithium iron phosphate chemistry has better thermal and structural stability. This makes it incombustible and can withstand high temperatures without decomposing. That means, it’s not prone to high internal thermal shootouts. So, if any LiFePO4 battery is subjected to harsh temperatures or hazardous events (like short circuiting or a crash) it won’t start a fire or explode.
- Environmental Safety LiFePO4 batteries are eco friendly unlike lead acid and nickel oxide lithium batteries. They (LiFePO4) are non-toxic and won’t leak hazardous chemicals, so they are safe for the environment.
- Excellent Efficiency and Performance
- Charge efficiency: A LiFePO4 battery can be fully charged in less than 2 hours
- Energy leakage rate: When not in use, its energy leakage (self discharge) rate is only 2% per month. On the contrary, other batteries lose their charge 30% or more.
- Runtime: It’s runtime is higher than the lead acid batteries/other lithium batteries.
- Consistent power: Batteries always provide the same amount of amperage even when below 50% battery life.
- No Maintenance needed: They are maintenance free.
- Small and Lightweight: LiFePO4 are 50% to 70% lighter than other batteries. When used in EVs, they can free-up space to carry loads of luggage in the boot.
- Winner traits: It’s a clear winner when used in day-to-day appliances and non-heavy automobiles – scooters, cars, mopeds etc.
It’s indeed good that Tecchren Inc is setting up a LiFePO4 battery plant in Chamarajanagar. To power up her economy, India is increasingly embracing clean/ renewable energy, and battery technology like LiFePO4 forms the foundation of that.